Well I wasn’t expecting to be posting again this soon but I’m delighted to have needed to.
As most of you will know I found a group of fish yesterday whilst out in the boat. My plan was to wait until next week, when the weather is supposed to be milder, but the excitement was just too great. I finished strimming the reads first and then put the rods out, one close to yesterday’s “huddle” spot, one about 10 yards away and one about 20 yards away. At lunch time I had a single bleep then a gap of 10 seconds or so, then another bleep, then a a gap and then a third bleep. With each bleep the bobbin slowly lifted about an inch until it was fairly tight to the rod but nothing else moved. One more bleep was accompanied by a “ping” as the line came out of the clip and, at that point I lifted the rod. The resistance was immediately solid, proper solid, to the point where, with the rod bent right over, nothing moved. Then the rod tip lifted gently before slowly folding down towards whatever was creating the power. I promise you I started to shake at this point and then the fish made a path towards the lodge. There didn’t appear to be any panic, just pure, solid determination and my reel slowly ticked as the spool turned. I admit that I was praying “please don’t come off” and gradually I seemed to be gaining ground. I pulled up my boots and walked out into the lake with my landing net at the side of me and my first sight was a huge, top lobe of her tail. I already knew this was a goodun but that underlined it.
The fight was probably about 20 minutes and I was really relieved to see her slide over the draw string. “Yep that’s a lump.” A quick call to Sharon saved Jan from getting muddy for the photos and, I’m sure you will agree that she’s done me proud.
At 55lbs 2oz I am made up.
For the technically interested she was caught on a Dynamite ComplexT 15mm boilie, straight out of the bag but wrapped in tough paste and with a small mesh bag of ComplexT pellets. No other freebies.
The rig was my standard Solar 101 size 2 tied as a whipped “D” rig on Rigmarole CamH2o fluoro hook link, 2oz running lead and slack lines.